Weigh down your fermented vegetables using this ceramic fermentation weight. Keeping vegetables weighted under the brine keeps the vegetables from drying out and can help prevent mold.
- Approximately 4 in. (10 cm.) diameter
- Fits our Fermented Vegetable Masters and similarly sized crocks and containers
- Fits most wide-mouth half-gallon canning jars, though it may be difficult to maneuver weights through jar opening.
- Two interlocking pieces for easy placement
- Food grade ceramic
- Hand wash with white vinegar or warm water. Do not use soap.
Rinse well before using, with white vinegar or warm water. Do not use soap. Fill the fermentation vessel with the prepared vegetables leaving appropriate headspace. Place ceramic weights on top of the vegetables to ensure the vegetables sit under the brine. Cover the vessel if desired. Ferment vegetables. Remove the ceramic weight prior to storing or consuming the vegetables.
PLEASE NOTE: Weights are ideal for whole or cut veggies. For shredded or very small pieces of cut up veggies, use multiple sets of weights, or use strips of a cabbage leaf crisscrossed over the top of the veggies and tucked down the sides of the jar. Ensure the cabbage strips are well submerged under the brine.