Mitoku Traditional Natto Spores
Make real Japanese natto at home! Ferment soy beans with these spores to make traditional natto, or use nearly any bean of your choice.
Natto spores (natto-moto) are the starter culture used with soybeans to make traditional Japanese natto fresh at home.
- Contains 0.1 oz (2.83 g) tube.
- This powdered starter culture comes complete with a special measuring spoon.
- Sufficient to inoculate approximately 50 pounds of soybeans to make approximately 88 pounds of fresh natto.
- The fermentation process requires the natto be kept at approximately 100°F degrees for 22 to 24 hours.
- Additional instructions included.
- Japanese natural powdered natto starter spores (bacillus subtilis natto).
- Manufactured and packaged in a sterile laboratory.
Shelf life and Storage
- The natto spores will last 6 months in the refrigerator or freezer; 3 to 4 weeks at room temperature.
What Our Customers Are Saying
The natto spores were easy to use, and the result is delicious!
I sprinkle just a tiny bit of the spores on 8 oz of soybeans that have soaked for about 16 hrs and then steamed in a steamer basket in the pressure cooker on high for 45 min. I discard the steaming water, put the hot beans in the pot and sprinkle a tiny pinch of spores over them, mix with a clean spoon put them in a quart mason glass jar, cover and put in a yogurt maker (110 degrees) for 7 hrs. They come out nice and stringy with an ok smell and taste. At first I incubated for up to 22 hrs with a clean kitchen towel between the jar and the yogurt cover which lowered the temperature a bit, and the beans got an unpleasant ammonia smell which is a sign of over fermentation. Now the whole family is eating natto and since I don't have to sterilize everything, just use a clean dry jar and spoon, it's easy.
wife loves it. Makes natto all week long so she is very pleased!
The package arrived early, customer services are very kind, helpful and friendly, the instructions in the package are clear. This was my first home made natto making, I followed every step and the natto came out really well! Highly recommend!