Sour Cream Starter Culture
Make delicious, fresh-tasting sour cream right on your countertop, easy as heating up cream. This direct-set culture works with any schedule (and it makes buttermilk, too!).
Each bag contains:
- 4 packets of starter culture.
Instructions for using this culture are included and may be found here.
- This culture is suitable for use with raw or pasteurized half-and-half or cream.
- Avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT half-and-half or cream
- Single-use culture - each packet can be used to make one batch of sour cream or buttermilk
Shipping and Storage Information
- This starter is shipped in a barrier-sealed packet as a freeze-dried culture.
- Refrigeration recommended
- Use by date on bag.
Sour Cream Starter Culture Ingredients
- Milk, live active cultures (Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, Lactococcus lactis biovar. diacetylactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris)
- This product contains no GMO ingredients.
- This product is gluten-free
Sour Cream Starter Culture Allergen Information:
- Contains dairy.
- Packaged in a facility that also manufactures products made with soy and dairy.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Think of all the things you make with sour cream or add sour cream to. Now think of not running out, think of not having to go to the store. All that goodness and you made it yourself.
This tastes unbelievably delicious. Store bought is just never going to cut it for me anymore.
The first time I made it, I had that annoying skin appear on the top of the cream when I was bringing it to 145F and holding it there. Now I put my cream in a bag for sous vide and bring it to temp and hold it that way. No skin anymore and no watching the pot. Probably a little over the top, but I don't care. It's worth it!
I really thought my first attempt would be a flub (I had trouble keeping the temp low enough while the cream was on the stove), but the sour cream turned out fabulously! I used it in a cheesecake and as a topping on lots of foods. It turned out nice and thick. Can't wait to make more!
well worth the minimal effort to make raw cream sour cream
Excellent product. I didn't think it was going to set up at first. It was close to the final hour and it was still looking like milk. In an hour after I checked again, it finally set up. It was the best sour cream I have ever had.